Pub Licence – How to get one?

Pub licence and how to obtain one

Do you need a pub licence? The licensing laws for England & Wales changed in August 2005, when the old 1964 Licensing Act was superseded by the new Licensing Act 2003, which came in to force in 2005. Under this new Licensing Act, you now need to hold a personal licence to sell alcohol from a pub. Obtaining a licence to become a pub landlord is relatively simple. You will need to attend a one day training course on licensing laws for England & Wales. Personal Licence Training (UK) Ltd specialise in running these courses throughout England, Wales and Scotland. If you are looking to become a landlord in Scotland, you will need to attend a Scottish licensing law course- click here for more details.

Pub licence exam

The personal alcohol licence course will include a multiple choice examination of 40 questions at the end of the training day, based upon the Licensing Act 2003 or the Scottish Licensing Act 2005. We have added a link to pub exams below, so you will know what to expect. Give it a try!

Under the old 1964 Licensing Act, there where several types of training courses such as:

  • On Licence
  • Off Licence
  • Part 4 (Restaurant Licence)

The Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) level 2 or the Scottish equivalent (SCPLH) level 6 covers all of these key areas and can be used for holding a pub licence where alcohol is sold both on and off the premises, or from an off licence, restaurant or any other establishment where alcohol is sold by retail to a member of the general public. If you are looking to become a pub landlord, you will require a personal licence, allowing you to become the licensee or Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) as it is now known.

Applying for a pub licence?

Most public houses are brewery owned and most pub companies will expect an applicant to hold a personal licence before being considered for one of its pubs. Some pub companies do run in-house courses, but these can prove to be expensive! When applying for a licence to run a pub, you will also have to under take a criminal records check or DBS check as they are now known. This is to prove you have no relevant offences under both the Licensing Act 2003 and or the Scottish Licensing Act 2005. A relevant offence may lead to an objection from the police to your personal licence application.

What is classed as a relevant offence?

Relevant offences are defined in detail under Schedule 4 of the licensing Act 2003 for England and Wales or the Scottish Licensing Act 2005 and will fall into the following categories;

  • Offences under the licensing Act 2003
  • Offences under enactments by local authorities or previous Acts
  • Offences involving serious crime or dishonesty
  • Offences involving drink driving
  • Offences involving the supply of drugs
  • Certain sexual offences
  • Offences under the private security industry Act 2001

More information on relevant offences can be found under each licensing Act

How much does a pub licence cost?

The average cost of a licensee’s personal pub licence is around £340. However PLT offer a English or Welsh full personal licence for just £295 This would include processing the full licence, examination fees, DBS check and cost of the APLH training course. Once granted This licence is then valid indefinitely. The cost of a full Scottish licence is just £275 including all fees and training, once granted the licence is valid for ten years, however currently refresher training is required every 5 years from the date of grant.

A public house will also hold a premises licence in its own right, renewable every twelve months this based on the rate-able value of the public house. This is generally the responsibility of the pub company to pay the renewal fees unless you own the Freehold.

Book your pub licence course online

Personal Licence Training (UK)Ltd can process your full personal alcohol licence for just £295.00- click here to find your local training venue and for course dates. Simply enter your post code and choose from over 80 plus training venues nationwide.

This entry was posted in Licence for a pub and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.